Trade Invest Africa
Created on 1 April 2016, the Trade Invest Africa Initiative aims to be the arm of the dti that coordinates and implements South Africa’s economic strategy for Africa, premised on the Development Integration approach. The initiative will focus on advancing the priorities for Africa set out in the Industrial Policy Action Plan (IPAP) and the National Export Strategy, as well as the opportunities uncovered through Continental trade negotiations.
Trade Invest Africa will create a closer working relationship between the South African Government and the private sector to take advantage of export and investment opportunities on the African continent.
Trade Invest Africa is mandated to contribute to increasing the levels of intra-Africa trade by facilitating South Africa’s exports of value-added goods and services, while creating sourcing relationships for imports from other African markets.
Trade Invest Africa will facilitate for South African business all necessary services related to trade and investment on the African continent.
The focus is specifically on medium to large export-ready companies that have identified the African continent as a key market for their products. Trade Invest Africa will assist these companies with market-entry strategies for markets in the rest of Africa.
Trade Invest Africa Offerings
Key offerings by Trade Invest Africa include:
1. Access to Capital
Trade Invest Africa is working with various South African institutions to facilitate access to capital. Financial support will be provided through leveraging South African Development Finance Institutions and the dti incentives for:
- Export insurance funding
- Export market exploration support
- Export promotion financial support
- Infrastructure and industrial project funding
2. Access to Markets
Trade Invest Africa facilitates access to market opportunities through:
- Undertaking sector-specific business missions to the continent
- Unlocking trade and investment opportunities through government-to-government engagements
- Addressing non-tariff barriers to trade
3. Other Non-Financial Support
A suite of other support measures provided by Trade Invest Africa include the following:
- Undertaking market intelligence research
- Establishing a portal for business networking and match-making
- Sharing of information on African markets through regular alerts to business
- Quarterly Africa Trade and Investment dialogues and seminars