SA Film & TV Production and Co-production (SA Film)
To support official co-productions and contribute towards employment opportunities in South Africa.
- The rebate is calculated as 35% of QSAPE.
- An additional 5% of Qualifying South African Production Expenditure (QSAPE) is provided for productions hiring at least 30% of black South African citizens as HODs and procuring at least 30% of QSAPE from 51% South African black- owned entities which have been operating for at least a period of one year; with a cap of R50 million per project.
- Productions must have a minimum QSAPE of R2.5 million for all qualifying production formats and a minimum of R500 000 for documentaries:
- The applicant must submit a copy of the advance ruling at application stage for and a copy of the final ruling at claim stage.
- At least 14 calendar days and 50% of principal photography must be filmed in South Africa; for productions with a minimum QSAPE of R50 million, this requirement may be waived.
- The Director must be a South African citizen, unless the production requires the inclusion of an individual not covered by this clause, in which case approval may be given at the provisional approval stage.
- The writer and producer credits include South African citizens, unless the production requires the inclusion of an individual not covered by this clause, in which case approval may be given at provisional approval stage (either exclusive or shared collaboration credits).
- At least two highest-paid performers must be South African citizens, unless the production requires the inclusion of an individual who is not a South African citizen, in which case approval may be given at provisional certification stage.
- The majority of the film’s HODs and key personnel must be South African citizens, unless the production requires the inclusion of an individual who is not a South African citizen, in which case approval may be given at provisional certification stage.
- The holding company and SPCV must achieve at least a level 3 and level 4 B-BBEE contributor status respectively, in terms of the B-BBEE Codes of Good Practice.
- The applicant must procure a minimum of 20% of qualifying goods and services from entities which are 51% black-owned by South African citizens and have been operating for at least one year.
- The applicant must complete and submit an application not early than forty-five (45) calendar days prior to the commencement of principal photography.
- The applicant must demonstrate that they adhere to an industry specific Code of Professional Standards that includes sexual harassment and health and safety protocols.
- The principal photography must not commence until an approval letter has been received from the dti.
Application Forms and Guidelines:
Selina Swarahle SSwaratlhe@thedti.gov.za +27 12 394 1140
Mpho Mukoma MMukoma@thedti.gov.za +27 12 394 1805
Zackie Sambo ZSambo@thedti.gov.za +27 12 394 1185