South African film and television production incentive (SA Film)
To support the local film industry and to contribute towards employment opportunities in South Africa.
- The rebate is calculated as 35% of QSAPE.
- An additional 5% of QSAPE is provided for productions hiring at least 30% of black South African citizens as head of departments (HODs) and procuring at least 30% of QSAPE from 51% South African black-owned entities which have been operating for at least a period of one year; with a cap of R50 million per project.
- Productions must have a minimum QSAPE of R1.5 million for all qualifying production formats and a minimum of R500 000 for documentaries
- At least 14 calendar days and 60% of principal photography must be filmed in South Africa. This requirement may be waived for productions with a minimum QSAPE of R50 million.
- A minimum of 75% of the total production budget (TPE) must be QSAPE.
- The majority of intellectual property must be owned by a South African citizen(s) and the copyright must be registered with the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC).
- The Director must be a South African citizen.
- The top writer and producer credits must include South African citizens either exclusive or shared collaboration credits.
- The majority of the five highest-paid performers must be South African citizens.
- The majority of Heads of Departments (HODs) and key personnel must be South African citizens, with at least 20% of the HODs on core production functions being black South African citizens.
- Secured a minimum of 25% of the total budget.
- The holding company and SPCV must achieve at least a level 3 and level 4 B-BBEE contributor status respectively, in terms of the B-BBEE Codes of Good Practice.
- The applicant must procure a minimum of 20% of qualifying goods and services from entities which are 51% black-owned by South African citizens and have been operating for at least one year.
- The applicant must complete and submit an application not early than 45 calendar days prior to the commencement of principal photography
- The applicant must demonstrate that they adhere to an industry specific Code of Professional Standards that includes sexual harassment and health and safety protocols.
- The principal photography must not commence until an approval letter has been received from the dti.
|Selina Swarahle||SSwaratlhe@thedti.gov.za|| +27 12 394 1140
||MMukoma@thedti.gov.za|| +27 12 394 1805
|Andisiwe Jona||Ajona@thedti.gov.za|| +27 12 394 1375
|Michelle Mochochoko||MMochochoko@thedti.gov.za||+27 12 394 3456|