Standing Advisory Committee on Intellectual Property (SACIP)
Section 40 of The Copyrights Act, 1978 (Act No 98 of 1978) (“the Act”) establishes a committee to be called the Standing Advisory Committee on Intellectual Property Rights (SACIP).
The Minister shall appoint an advisory committee consisting of a Judge or a Senior Advocate of the Supreme Court of South Africa as Chairman and such ex officio and other members as the Minister may from time to time determine. [Para. (a) substituted by. 4 (a) of Act No. 61 of 1989.](b) A member of the Advisory Committee shall hold Office for such period as the Minister may direct and shall be eligible for reappointment upon the expiration of his/her period of Office.
- The Advisory Committee shall as to witnesses and their evidence have the powers of a Commission under The Commissions Act, 1947 (Act No. 8 of 1947).
- The advisory committee may from time to time make recommendations to the Minister with regards to any amendments to this Act and to The Trade Marks Act, 1963 (Act No. 62 of 1963), The Designs Act, 1967 (Act No. 57 of 1967), and The Patents Act, 1978 (Act No. 57 of 1978), and shall advise the Minister on any matter referred to it by the Minister.[Sub-s. (3) substituted by s. 4 (b) of Act No. 61 of 1989.
- The Advisory Committee may constitute and maintain Sub Committees. [Para. (a) substituted by s. 4 (c) of Act No. 61 of 1989.](b) The Advisory Committee shall appoint as members of the Sub Committees such of its members and such other persons and for such periods of Office as the Advisory Committee may from time to time determine.
- The Advisory Committee may call to its assistance any person it may deem necessary to assist it with, or to investigate matters relating to, the functions referred to in subsection (3). [Sub-s. (5) substituted by s. 4 (d) of Act No. 61 of 1989].
- The Registrar shall be responsible for the administration of the Advisory Committee and the Sub Committees.